Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cheapskate router setup for nice wood bindings


I'm making two guitars, not starting a new career. And, let's face it, I'm pretty cheap when it comes to buying one-trick tools. But I want things to be, well, just so. So when I booked up on cutting the channels for the bindings, I was a little dismayed to find this router bit set and this router cradle as the "best" way to cut perfect channels for the wood bindings I wanted. Buy them together for $278 plus shipping.

I've been cobbling together router setups for 35 years, and I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to jack up the guitar in the air and then hang the router even higher in the air on top of that.

Here's what I did instead, with some scraps of poplar and a mix-and match of router bits and bearings on hand

Basically, I used my router table with a scrap of 13/16 poplar surrounding the bit, then taped same-thickness scraps of poplar to one side of the face I was cutting. The way, both sides would always be the same height off the router table, which means the same depth of cut.  Then, when one side was cut, I swapped the taped-on scraps to the other side and finished up. 
Ready to start the first cut. I'll admit I was nervous. I sharpened the router bit with a tiny diamond file. But I couldn't see what damage I could do, except for tearout, which I addressed by going really, really slowly around.
Closeup of the first setup.
After the first channels were cut on the tops, where there is a 2-part binding, I went around tops and backs for a second channel for the outer curly maple binding to cover the end grain of the tops and backs. Same idea, different router bit.

I was really happy with the result: clean, no-cost binding channels. Take that, Stewmac!
I found a nice 4' chunk of curly maple at woodcraft for $3, because it had a huge hole in the middle of the board. Fine with me - I just cut strips about 3/32" x about 7/16" on the tablesaw, and scraped them flat. I had to buy a new blade for the saw, though - even my mildly used 40-tooth blade caused blowouts in the grain. A new 60 tooth blade did fine, then I scraped and sanded the strips.
70 degrees out! I was able to work at my outdoor workbench for bending the bindings. What a difference bending the maple vs. bending the mahogany; curly maple falls apart if it's wet, and the mahogany doesn't bend if it's dry! In the photo, the first maple strip has been bent, and is immediately ready for installation.
Bending the second curve on a cutaway-side maple strip. The best technique proved to be slooowwwly pushing  the maple around the hot iron, dry. I used the smaller-diameter "upper level" pipe (see prior photo) for the first tight cutaway curve, then the lower-level larger pipe for everything else. No springback on this stuff at all. The little mahogany strips bent more easily, with just a little spray spritz of water which made steam.
Superglue! I went about an inch at a time, pushing the bindings in, seeping a little glue in, spraying accelerator. Took about 10 minutes a side. Tape wouldn't have drawn it in tight enough, and there was no way to clamp. The guitar bodies looked dishearteningly ugly at this point.
For the bottom joint, I overlapped set the first strip in a hair long, overlapped the second, and used a sharp 1/2" chisel to put them together. Worked well.
Thank you, Miles! A friend left his Fein Multitool here several years ago, and hasn't bothered to pick it up. This is the only time I've used it, I swear. Had to buy a new velcro pad and some Schliefblatter for it, though. Working outdoors again - less mess in the shop. I was really happy to see that superglue disappear. Next step, not shown here (my wife needed the camera at work) was two days' work scraping and sanding the sides flush again. Thorny work on the inside curves.

Bindings in place, rough sanded. Next little step, inserting the bone piece at the base of the tops where that tailpiece adjusters go, then scraping the recurve on tops and backs, which should be interesting.

6 comments:

  1. Nice job Bob! Your solution to the binding route problem worked well.

    A couple of questions, I really like your bending iron set up. I've been thinking about getting a heat gun for another project, do you think that leaving the gun intact and blowing the hot air at the pipe would work as well as your set up? Second, the safe-t planer has been out of production for a while and they are going for $130 - $200+ on e-bay! How important is that tool for this project?

    BTW, if you are interested I have another option for a binding router jig that uses the sides of the body as the bearing surface (since that is the surface that is flat in respect to the binding channel). This can be "sized up" for a guitar as opposed to the little one I built for the ukes. http://scotts-workshop.blogspot.com/2011/11/ukulele-build-part-12.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott.

      Re the bending iron: I don't think a heat gun will work, although I could be wrong. The 700 watt heating element I used in mine glows red hot, and brings the pipe I bend on to about 400 degrees if I let it, according to the wood stove thermometer I borrowed from my living room. Most of the bending I did used about 375 degrees. Touch it and you're burned. I don't think a heat gun will get anything that hot. If you can't find a heating element, a propane torch-based bending iron is a better bet.

      The Wagner Safe-T planer is unique. You mount it in a drill press and it nibbles wood away a little at a time from the side and bottom, with the cut limited to about 3/32". It really is pretty safe, and works like a charm. Also, it's a couple of inches in diameter, so the "blade speed" is pretty high, which is needed for the relatively low speed of a drill press. Don't ever chuck a router bit in a drill press. It will chew your work up, and could destroy it. The reason these Safe-T-Planers are eagerly sought is that there is no real substitute. Sorry.

      That's a beautiful jig you built for the uke bindings. Functionally, it's not that different from what I did - the bearing surface is the side, registered against the top or back being routed. The only downside I could imagine is the low power of the moto-tool, which can't handle a big diameter bit at high rpm. Maybe it's just the bits I've used with them - I see you've got a spiral bit in yours, which no doubt works better than what I've been using

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info Bob, I wanted to find out from someone who had used one to see if the safe-t planer is worth the investment.

    I looked into heat guns and they put out 500 - 1000 F with 1100+ Watts so there should be enough heat, I'll let you know if it works out. BTW in ship modeling we use modified soldering irons for bending wood.

    You are right about the key being the side bearing surface. The spiral cut bits are from a set I bought for doing inlay work with mother of pearl. They make for very clean cuts at relatively slow RPMs. The jig is an adaptation of this: http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/people/sevy/luthierie/guitarmaking_guide/binding/binding_router_jig_1.jpg (another great site).

    I'm working on making a plane similar to the one you made at the beginning of your blog. You are very creative in your solutions to the many tasks needed to make an archtop. Keep up the great work, I really enjoy watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dedicated Impex is leading gear cutting tools Manufacturers Company in India, we are manufacturers and suppliers of gear cutting tools, CNC router bits, keyway broaches, router bits and slotting cutters in all over India.


    Spline broaches























    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes your post is so nice I was a little dismayed to find this router bit set and this router cradle as the "best" way to cut perfect channels for the wood bindings.But the more info of wood router visit my website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is superb Bob, I now have the solution to cutting for the binding on an old Harmony Stella. This was driving me crazy, your router jig is perfect - thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete